Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thing 4, or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Peanut Gallery

Without comments from readers, blogging is just shouting into the void. There's nothing wrong with shouting into the void sometimes, of course. Sometimes you've just gotta shout, and the void doesn't mind. But that's not really the purpose of a blog. Not if you're doing it right.

Comments from readers allow the blogger to connect with other people, and allow those people to connect with each other. I have very dear friends (and one ex-girlfriend, as it happens) who I got to know in the blogosphere, but even beyond that, the basic idea is that blog commenting brings like-minded (or at least "like-interested") people together to share ideas.

Having never read a blog about blogging (a metablog, perhaps?), I was interested to read the thoughts of others on the ins and outs of commenting. I didn't necessarily learn anything, having found my own way to blogging years ago, but to see it all written down like that was new to me. I did note with interest ProBlogger's observation that commentary increases when there are rules in place as to what's acceptable and what isn't - a phenomenon I've seen in action quite recently on one of the fora I frequent - and I chuckled a little at CoolCatTeacher's description of Darth Commenter. I know that's a real thing, again from my forum experience more than blogging, but referring to "the lightsaber of unkindness" appeals to my geekier side (it's the upper 95% of me, if you're wondering).

Thus far I have only commented on one blog for this assignment. I posted a comment on Emma's blog (Burton's Blog) in which she mused on the word "blog" itself. I kind of picked Emma at random to start with, but the subject appealed to the language nerd in me, so I commented on that. I love etymology, even of modern not-a-real-word words like "blog," so I took the opportunity to explain the origin of the word.

I'll update this post as I leave more comments.

Update #1, 10-9-09: By now I am following the blogs of four of my classmates, and have just now posted a comment in Jessica's blog (Watson Wisdom) in which I posited that perhaps certain technological statistics bear further scrutiny before we get too excited about them.

Update #2, 10-16-09: I have just left a comment in Anita's blog (Ms. Hicks Has Fun!). She was talking about some of the mental obstacles she personally faces in the blog-commenting arena, and I said in effect that it's not a big deal and we all go through that stuff sometimes. I had my supportive hat on, I suppose. I hope nobody gets used to it, though - my "insufferable jackass" hat fits so much better. ;)

Update #3, 11-29-09: The final update. Through the fog and haze of this dreadful cold and the medicine I'm taking to fight it, I have rallied forth to leave some more comments. That sounded more heroic in my head.

Anyway, I left a comment on David's blog (Reflections of a Catalyst) complimenting him on his attitude. Then I left a comment on Morgan's blog (Pros and Conwell) asking what she thinks the future might hold. After that, I left a comment on Jen Ikuta's blog (Ghettokore Studios) congratulating her on the tournament she ran as a benefit event for breast cancer. Lastly, I commented on the latest article at Frankie Minus Johnny, which was sort of about the nature and benefits of thanksgiving - both the holiday and the act itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment