Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Thing 11: Feed me all night long.

I ended up using Google Blogs to search for more blogs to read. I tried to look at Feedster but the link wasn't working, and I checked out Technorati but it felt kind of cluttered because of the ads and general layout. So, once again, I returned to Google.

Mostly in my searching (in which I added the TN Democratic Party, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, and the SCCA's Classics Links and Information to my subscriptions), what I found is that for every specific thing you are trying to find, you will find thousands of things that are only tangentially related, and often diametrically opposed, to your intended target. I also found that the right wing of our political system is much, much louder and angrier than anyone with whom I might agree (but to be honest I already knew that).

Sidebar: In my travels throughout the blogosphere, I read one person's angry "retort" to some scientific claims I'm not going to get into here because of time constraints, and one thing she said really stuck out in my mind: the internet democratizes truth. She, of course, was saying this is a good thing and it empowers people to decide the truth for themselves. I, on the other hand, could not help thinking that is exactly what is wrong with the internet.

The truth cannot be "democratized." I will be the very first person to say that there are no simple truths, and that even the most basic questions can have incredibly complicated answers. But there are things that simply are not true, no matter how many people repeat them on the internet. The internet gives equal credit to scientists and soccer moms, Ph.D.s and pundits, and as a result, the pool of collective knowledge is hopelessly polluted. The truth is not simple or clear-cut, but that does not mean it can be manhandled by anyone with internet access and still remain true.

So a word of caution, dear reader: take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt, and ALWAYS consider the source.

Except for this blog, naturally. You can trust me without question.

1 comment: