Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thing 14: In the rain or in the snow, I've got the funky funky flow(chart).

If any of you can actually identify the source of this entry's title, I'll be shocked and amazed.

I've used flowcharts in the past to explain things to people who don't seem to be understanding my words, and to that end they can really come in handy. When a process gets even a little bit complicated, it really helps some people to have a visual representation of it so none of the salient details get lost. I've been trying to think of how I might use one in Latin instruction, and I think a flowchart might help some people in translating Latin sentences - at least from a structural standpoint, not a vocabulary one - but I'm not about to make such a monstrous chart right now. It'd take forever.

If I were to undertake such a thing, I'd use Flowchart.com. It looks reasonably easy to use, and unlike Gliffy it is a dedicated flowchart thing as opposed to a general-purpose chart/diagram application that "can be used" for flowcharts. Also, Gliffy is a silly name.

On the subject of mind mapping, though, I'm kind of at a loss. What's the point? How is it supposed to help? I don't understand the concept of mind mapping, so it's hard for me to think of what I'd use it for.

That said, if I were to map my mind, I'd use MindMeister. It's easy to use and has a ton of features, and there's a mostly-helpful video tutorial that explains almost everything other than what the point of a mind map is in the first place.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eddie,

    Thank you for your thoughts to uncomplicate processes and information.

    To help people translate Latin sentences, You would probably use the mindmap also as a flowchart. The different branches would be steps in the translation.

    The best thing is that you don't need a fancy tool to do this. Simply use a tool that can create basic mindmaps. Many people who start to mindmap tend to use tools that can do it all. People shouldn't be thinking about the tool. They should be working on a map that helps them move forward.

    MindMeister is a good solution, but there are free tools (FreeMind) as well.

    P.S.: PaRappa the Rapper :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :O

    I don't know how you happened upon my blog, but that's good information. Thanks! Also, your P.S. is absolutely correct - color me shocked and amazed. :)

    ReplyDelete