Monday, November 23, 2009

Thing 19: POP goes the Teacher.

Alright, so now I've got this TeacherPOP thing up and running. I really doubt I'll use it much, though. Frankly, I am already being pushed to the very limit of my social threshold, and I am pretty selective about with whom I will socially network. A site where I have no control over who is in my "circle" just doesn't appeal to me at all. Still, I joined, and I have commented, and I have placed my little TeacherPOP badge on this blog.

Even on the internet, I am something of an introvert. This is less apparent than in real life, where I am extremely introverted, but it is still true. As I discussed above and in my post regarding Facebook and MySpace, the idea of being part of a gigantic group of people all just chattering away doesn't appeal to me. So no, I don't belong to any other social networks, nor do I want to. I have a badly-neglected LiveJournal account and I belong to several message boards, but these are examples of older, more structured technologies that better suit my temperament.

Just to be clear: I have no problem with new technology. Social networking, however, is not for me. Not the way most people seem to do it, and certainly not in settings where I cannot control whose chatter I receive. The signal-to-noise ratio is just entirely too low for my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment