Monday, November 23, 2009

Thing 17: Tag and release.

Del.icio.us, and social bookmarking in general, is perhaps not as ridiculous as I originally thought. I don't buy the argument that old-school bookmarks are necessarily cluttering or unwieldy, but maybe that's because I don't bookmark a whole lot and have a strong urge to categorize and file things anyway, so my bookmarks are pretty well-organized. The tagging feature, though, is nice. Being able to create multiple tags per bookmark, and then use those to cross-reference, is very handy, and feels like a positive step toward my insane, utopian vision of a totally interconnected web (which I won't get into here, but might be willing to explain a little further on request). I particularly like being able to create a "string" of tags that I can add to or subtract from at will, allowing me to hone in on just exactly the right bookmarked site for my current needs.

At this point, my only resistance to using Del.icio.us is its rid.iculo.us name - a pet peeve well-documented already in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment